01

Monday, August 25, 2014

Family Room Reveal

Our Family Room is a fairly large room 25x19ft.. so It was kind of awkward to decorate. Yet we still wanted the room to feel super cozy because it was a separate room from the rest of the house. We knew we wanted our family room to be our main TV area as the living room wasn't going to have a TV in it. All I knew is we needed a BIG tv stand/ Media unit.. Especially because the wall was so large and a small stand would get lost on the wall.. so I looked around online and found a few .. Ballard designs and Pottery Barn have some beautiful ones but they were out of our price range as we still needed to buy 2 beds, a sofa/ sectional for living room and a large harvest table for the kitchen.. This new house was costing a small fortune!! Then Finally I found the Media Unit we decided to go with ... It was Ikea's Liatorp!! Once it was delivered, it took a while to put together.. But in the end I LOVE the added storage it gave us! It also has some weight to it and filled up the empty wall space perfectly.
This Room wasn't a complete overhaul. We did Re-finish the hardwood to a darker Java stain which you can see here. We changed the french doors, added Oil rubbed Bronze door handles and hung some curtains to frame and soften the patio doors.
One of the Major things on my Reno list.. was new french doors!!.. The other ones had a floral pattern on the glass and brass in-lay (see picture above). I am sure they were quite expensive at one point.. but I just couldn't stand them...SO we got these new simple ones from Home Depot for approx $150 for the pair. We Love the way they looked BUT what a disaster removing the plastic glass covers.. The doors were pre-sprayed so I thought that would save time???.. Big Mistake!! INSTEAD it took hours to remove the plastic covers, clean the floors and clean the glass panels.. They Literally had random white paint flecks on the Panels still till this day.
Love my new Simple French doors.. Once I cleaned up all the mess! ;)
Here I have a new antique looking wood and iron door leaned agaist the wall. A french provincial chair that I more recently re-covered in natural linen material. And our old dining room Buffet painted in BM Alexandria Beige. Above the buffet we leaned a white -wash painted vintage gold mirror. We also framed the patio doors with oil rubbed bronze curtain hardware with square finials and my fav. Linen with white polka dot curtains.

Our White Media unit was from Ikea. I Just LOVE the Display and Storage space it gives. It allows me to display my Papa's vintage Boat and some other vintage pieces like wooden Boxes that were my other Grandfathers. Also Displayed are various souvenirs from trips I have taken. The Antique ladder that I used to have by our old bookcases now acts more like wall art. Sometimes I switch it up and put the ladder in the corner but it can block my motion detector which kind of defeats the purpose. During the holidays we hang fabric bows off the Ladder.
 
On the walls we hung a large Vintage Map that I had custom framed.  It ideally should be moved more left. But the previous owners left a few screw marks and to avoid repainting,  I just used the same screw spot where they had Art previously.. I know.. Lazy! Which is also why I like the ladder leaned up beside the Map, it fills in the empty wall space better.
Here is a better view of the Liatorp Bookshelves..The right side of the Bookcases holds some Vintage Encyclopedias, Vintage Kodak Cameras from my Parents and our Moss L&C from our wedding.


 Here is a Picture of Our Family Room with the 'Love Collage' still hanging up. Its a mix of white and cream picture frames..  some vintage painted frames and some Ikea and Homesense finds. Also included in our Love collage is a round mirror, a metal script font 'LOVE' sign, a mini chalkboard and lastly a white shadow box with linen backing housing some small trinkets from our wedding.
Here is the Family Room when we were selling the house. I had to take down our Love Collage, In its place I hung a simple Grey Vintage-looking frame with chicken wire inside to fill up the wall space above the couch.  It was kind of sad taking down all our memories, But I knew we would be hanging a smaller version at the new house soon .. I have a new spot already picked out ;)

Thanks for looking! See more of our Home Tours Here

Don't Miss a post... Follow me by Email or Bloglovin!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, beautiful room! We just purchased the Liatorp for our new house. Our tv is 55" but after we bought it, we saw that it says it accommodates up to 50". 😰 do you mind me asking how big your tv is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie.. We love our Liatorp!! We have a 50 or 51" TV in ours..I know 51" sounds like a weird size but I believe that's what it is. All the best with everything.

      ~Lisa

      Delete