01

Monday, August 18, 2014

Shabby Chic 1st Birthday Party

It all started with the dress!! My sister in-law gifted me the dress before my daughter was born.. a dusty rose Baby Gap dress with a Tulle skirt and a Bow! It was super Girly and Pretty.. So the theme was Born! My Daughters first birthday would be a Romantic Pastel Shabby Chic Birthday Party!!!  I wanted it to be super Girly and pink. I love all things shabby chic so I tried to go all out.. in pastels, flowers, ruffles, polka dots, burlap and natural fabrics and mixing in vintage elements. 

I kept decorations fairly simple and not too kiddish ( I will do kiddish when she can pick a theme herself!) We had just a few baby pink and white balloons, pastel coloured poms, shabby fabric garland and a personalized burlap birthday Banner available here.


On the main table I displayed white picture frames with pictures from when Elle was first born. I had a 3 tier metal stand with striped pink and white bowls full of Kraft Dinner for the kids. (HUGE hit!) Mason jars were used to hold pink utensils. Above the table Hung a personalized Burlap Birthday banner. Below I hung a Shabby Fabric garland that I purchased on Etsy. Instead of a basic table cloth,  I picked up a few meters of a mini rose Shabby chic patterned fabric from my local fabric store. I left the ends unfinished and draped that over the Dining room table instead. (That way you can wash and re-use it as is OR make a pillow and have a great keepsake of her 1st Birthday!)




The Dessert Table featured real Baby Pink Hydrangeas that I special ordered from a local florist. I displayed the pink hydrangeas in vintage white vases. I put my cake stands to good use.. one holding the larger cake that was for everyone and the other holding the small smash cake for my birthday girl!! I even used our Large Silver wedding Cake stand as a prop. The white 'E' bowl featured yummy chocolate eggs in pastel colours (The E was a part of the L.O.V.E bowls that I also used for our Candy display at our Wedding.. see it here) Then we used Candy jars from Walmart to hold pastel candy necklaces and other candies. A Vintage Tea cup held mini chocolate bars and a milkshake glass was used to hold twizzlers..And of course Cupcakes on a tier stand with yummy baby pink icing..YUM!
The vintage framed chalkboard is a part of the wall decor in our kitchen all year round.. so I changed the usual quote to a more appropriate Birthday wish for my little one. The cake banners are made by me using scrap fabric and jute. I wrote the font with a Brown permanent marker.
Here is another look at the Dessert Table.. Makes me hungry just looking at it again.
The Cupcake Banner hung under the dessert table

 The Cake was Home made by me!! (very daunting.. I don't recommend this as I had a million things to do that day.. Must learn to delegate tasks!!) It tasted amazing though! This is the Recipe I used. I made the cake the night before her Party and then added icing about an hour or so before the party. For the main cake I did a simple icing rose in a Pink Ombre effect.. It was my first time making a cake from scratch.. And overall it was pretty easy to do plus it tasted soooo good!! Except when I (the inexperienced baker!) Didn't line the spring cake pan and all the batter started dripping down into my stove.. yes this happened!! To add to my stress!! So I had to get my Dad and brother in law to do another ingredient run!! Awww memories..In the end it was all worth it. The icing was Yummy too.. You can see my daughter really enjoyed it.. and isn't that the most important thing that the birthday girl is Happy!! ;)

 We placed the Kids Goody bags by the front door in a wooden box with a chalkboard front reading Favours on it. (Also from our wedding!) For the Goody Bags we used personalized initial Burlap bags with a Bold Baby blue initial for the boys and a light pink Script Initial for the girls.. they are available here. We attached these super cute personalized photo gift tags to each of the bags..The tags were a huge hit with the parents and kids alike! Check them out at this Etsy shop.
Thanks for looking.

Source List:

Shabby chic Fabric Garland 
Painted Mason Jars 
Happy 1st Birthday Banner
Cupcakes Burlap Banner
Personalized Burlap Bags
Paper Poms 
Silver Cake stand- Save on Crafts (4 years ago)
Candy Jars- Walmart
White Vases- Antique Market
Tea cup- Antique Market
Chalkboard- Antique Fair (7 years ago)
Box with Chalkboard front- Bought while on vacation at a small home boutique.
Milkshake Glasses- Ikea

No comments:

Post a Comment