01

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Neutral Winter Decorating

So I've changed up some of our decor since all the Christmas decorations came down. I am a neutral girl at heart so here are some ways I infused woods, creams and whites in our house.




I kept the wood panelled reindeer as its still a snowy winter up here. To resist the urge to buy more I used decor I had, I added some large natural colored rope in a glass canister, and a rope ball to the wooden tripod.
For the mantel I kept it simple with wooden candelabra and tall wood candle sticks. With a piece of loose Manzanita wooden branch. 
Our kitchen centrepiece was changed up a bit. I wanted a more rustic, weathered look planter box.. You can see more on that transformation HERE.
Inside the wooden planter box centrepiece I filled it with vintage mason jars that I picked up at a garage sale this summer. The plan was to fill the mason jars with candles.. simple and easy, right???.. Wrong! height and width became an issue. I bought 9 church votive candles (I just removed the religious stickers/labels.. Hopefully that's not a sin!!).. I purchased the thin glass ivory candles from Dollarama for $1.25 ea, thinking they would totally fit INSIDE my mason jars.. opps no.. so I used them to fill all the holes in my wooden planter.  So now I have a nice mix of mason jars and glass candles. When its all lit up the glass just glows and looks beautiful.
For our chalkboard I googled winter quotes and this one resonated with me.
My kitchen display was a tough one, I have a lot of decor items, but honestly a lot of them are Nautical or coastal themed.. My fav style.. So needless to say I can't wait till spring.. So instead I kept my driftwood ball and placed it on top of a wooden tray and paired it with a metal Lantern that I used outside this summer.
I liked the way these galvanized metal lanterns looked on our sofa table this Christmas. So I decided to keep them and just change what I had inside. I placed glass pedestal vases with jute wrapped candles inside. I like the look of placing 2 candles holders inside one another for a layered look.
We kept the pillows simple and natural. The linen like wrapped pillows are new, and I mixed them with some pillows I had made a while back.
I am happy to be finally displaying my Papa's vintage wooden barrel decanter set. It really is a bar type item, But it looks pretty cool there. so its staying for now.
For the living room and dining room I kept it fairly simple and the same. Minus all the Christmas decor It looked instantly cleaner and fresher. Then I just added neutral pillows.
I moved the Antique Dough Bowl from our Kitchen into our Dining Room. I kept the centrepiece fairly simple with moss filler, large pinecones and a singular faux bark candle. 
Shared with:
Thoughts from Alice - Sundays at Home 


Don't Miss a post... Follow me by Email or Bloglovin!

No comments:

Post a Comment