01

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Nautical Nursery Reveal

So here it is.. Our little James Nursery.. I tend to naturally gravitate to calming and coastal decor with touches of it throughout our entire home.. so when we found out we were having a boy, I just knew the nursery theme had to be nautical!! click for all the details with full source list below...
Whites, tonal blues, natural wood and Jute make up his nursery. We kept the main back drop fairly simply with BM Edgecomb grey painted walls with one wood plank wall painted white. And for a little visual interest for our son to look up at, we painted the ceiling a calming aqua blue.
Click HERE to see how this room looked BEFORE.
Ok I had a TON of ideas for his room... Realistically I was working with a 12x13" space so there is only so much stuff you can cram into one room without it looking well .. crammed. 
Trust me I know its bordering on busy, BUT I had to take advantage of all the wall space. I made 2 focal walls.. one being the main white planked wood wall, the other this adorable wooden alphabet wall that I painted navy. You can learn more on our alphabet wall HERE. The alphabet letters hang over our little one's reading nook.. more of a nursing nook right now but future reading nook. I found these great wooden boxes with chicken wire at Homesense that fit perfectly into the side table shelf to hold all his baby books. 

 
I love how his window seat turned out! Its not the typical window seat I originally envisioned, its a more masculine version, I wanted to keep it natural Cedar to flow with the bookcases my hubby built to flank the window / window seat. You can learn more about the window seat HERE.
Well anyone who follows me knows my obsession with pillows.. I JUST LOVE THEM! Its a great way to add texture and design. I love finding new fabrics which tends to be an expensive treat. It was a labour of love by both myself or my mom to make all these pillows for my little monkey's window  seat. They really set the tone and add the Navy punch the room needed.
To keep up with the nautical theme, I got these great curtain rod finials from Land of nod. They are a rope style which ties in really with the rest of the Jute in his room.
We made another piece of wall decor for his nursery..a Meter stick chalkboard.. Its a little ahead of his time but its been great for our older daughter who is almost 3yrs old to doodle on as I get her brother ready. 
 
Here is the main wall you see when you first walk into the nursery. This was our first try at planking a wall or as some may call ship lap.. It was easy and I couldn't be happier with the results. I will definitely be planking more walls in our house in the near future. 

Below you can really see the ceiling paint colour. We decided to paint the ceiling a soft aqua blue. We went with Benjamin Moore Ocean Mist. Its very subtle blue, its looks different throughout the day. For his bedding I kept it fairly simple with striped bumpers by Sadie and Scout with a ticking stripe crib skirt.
 
 
I kept the bookcase decor a mix of newer items with vintage finds. I added touches of galvanized metal which tied to the large galvanized metal Wall initials hanging on his plank wall. 
The mini suitcases were a steal from Target. 
For the change table we used the simple Ikea Hemnes dresser from our daughters nursery with this added dresser topper. I love how this piece allows for a more sturdy place to change our son but also a great spot to store all his necessities... diapers, cream.. and more diapers!

As of right now theses anchor hooks are more for hanging his clothes as art.. but down the road the plan is to be organized and hang his next days outfit. Aren't little man shirts adorable? ;)
 
 
I got this adorable wooden frame on a shopping trip while I was pregnant with him.. I mean this frame just says it all!! Thanks for looking at his nursery today. I had a lot of fun creating and sharing it. Have a amazing week!

Sources:
Dresser: Ikea
Dresser Jute Knobs: Etsy
Change Pad Cover: Etsy
Change pad dresser topper: Restoration Hardware
Crib Skirt: Restoration Hardware
Bedding: Toys R Us
Wooden Diaper Box: Homsense
Rocking chair - Homesense
Pillow on rocking chair (personalized) - Etsy
Rope Chandelier: Joss and Main
Galvanized Initials: Etsy
Wall planks: Rona ( painted BM Cloud White)
Ceiling paint- BM Ocean Mist
Burlap Personalized Name Banner: Etsy
Rope Pillow- Target
Mini suitcases- Target
Galvanized Boxes- Homesense (4yrs ago)
Wooden Bear - Thrift Shop
Whale pillow- Joss and Main
Whale Jute Art- Joss and Main
Striped curtains- Ikea (7 years ago)
Rope Finials - Land of nod
Pipe Shelf - Made by us (DIY HERE)
Ruler Chalkboard- Made by us (DIY HERE)
Personalized trading co sign - Joss and Main
Oar - Vintage (painted BM Newburyport Blue)
Anchor light switch plate - Etsy
Anchor hooks- Local Garden centre
Dog Bookends- Vintage (painted BM Cloud white)
Wooden Alphabet letters - Etsy ( painted BM 
Wall cleat hooks -Etsy
Wooden Buoy - Etsy




Shared with:


Don't Miss a post... Follow me by Email, Bloglovin and Instagram

2 comments:

  1. Cutest nursery ever! I love the shiplap and all the amazing, thoughtful touches throughout. Thanks for linking up to the Creative Gallery Link-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ashley! I tried to make it special for our little guy. ;)

      Delete